Monday 14 March 2016

Dream Come True

There are a few moments in your life when you think - I did it!


When I found out that I had won Choc Lit Publishing’s Search for a Star novel competition, I couldn’t believe it. Especially as my competitors on the shortlist, including one of my friends, Lynn Forth, write to such a high standard.

At first I felt stunned, it wasn’t until I told my mother on the phone and she burst into tears, that I had an emotional reaction. Since then, social media has gone mad and I’m overwhelmed by the positive support and best wishes.

Who is Harry Dixon?, my winning novel, began as a grain of an idea. I know exactly when it came to me. We were on holiday in Northumberland in July 2014 and my husband thought there was something wrong as I went so quiet in the car. The silence, after I had reassured hubbie I was okay, was followed by a frantic scribbling on the back of an envelope I found discarded in the door pocket of the car. Harry Dixon and my heroine, Ellie Golden were born!

I would never have dreamed back then that huge pictures of me would be on Facebook and the announcement of my win for Choc Lit would be listed amongst the most popular stories on Book2book Book Trade information.

So, dreams do come true. I know there is a lot of work ahead when I get my editorial report, but I’m finally on my way to being published. Yippee.


22 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Morton. A new Choc Lit star has been born. Wishing you every success. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rae. It has been quite a ride! My feet haven't touched the ground since the announcement. Mx

      Delete
  2. How exciting! Many congratulations, Morton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been very exciting. I never thought something like this would happen to little me! Mx

      Delete
  3. So pleased for you, Morton. Great to have you as a Choc Lit colleague. Many Congratulations! :) X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I'm looking forward to getting to know the Choc Lit family. Mx

      Delete
  4. Well done, Morton! I knew it would come to you soon x x Good luck with everything, and hopefully we'll catch up soon at another conference. (Sadly I won't be going to this year's though, too far away.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had begun to wonder if it would happen, but so excited now it has. Moving into a different phase of my writing career. I may be tapping you for advice. Mx

      Delete
    2. Any time, just ask x Make the most of it, and just keep writing x

      Delete
  5. At last, the success you deserve, Morton. WELL DONE! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent news, Morton. Congratulations :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. We're in the same family! Mx

      Delete
  7. Such exciting news! Congratulations - I can't wait to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done it's an exciting time and welcome to the Choc Lit family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela. Everyone has been so lovely.

      Delete
  9. Delighted for you. Many congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Georgina. I'm totally overwhelmed with the lovely response to my news. Mx

      Delete
  10. Well deserved! So pleased for you. Best of luck with the edits (you can do it!)

    ReplyDelete